Interesting Santana places in San Francisco, CA.
San Francisco Peninsula Map
San Francisco Downtown Map
Venues
Miscellaneous

San Francisco Peninsula Map (click on # for details)

San Francisco Downtown Map (click on # for details)

Venues

Collage © Karim Brichi

01. Avalon Ballroom 17. Kezar Stadium
02. Bill Graham Civic Auditorium 18. Masonic Auditorium
03. Bimbo's 19. The Matrix
04. California Hall 20. Old Waldorf
05. Cesar's Latin Palace 21. War Memorial Opera House
06. Civic Center Plaza 22. Pacific Bell Park/SBC ParkAT&T Park
07. Coit Tower 23. Pier 45
08. Cow Palace 24. The Polo Fields
09. Davies Symphony Hall 25. Slim's
10. Family Dog On The Great Highway 26. Stern Grove
11. Fillmore Auditorium 27. The Stone
12. Fillmore West/Carousel Ballroom 28. Straight Theatre
13. Ft. Mason 29. Warfield Theatre
14. Glide Memorial United Methodist Church 30. Winterland
15. The Great American Music Hall 31. Wolfgang's
16. Kabuki Theatre
Avalon Ballroom
1268 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA 94109
Note: Originally opened as The Puckett Academy of Dance in 1911. Rented by Texan Chet Helms in 1966. In 1967 and 1968, Helms presented bands such as the Grateful Dead, Quicksilver Messenger Service, the Daily Flash, Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band. Helms also managed Big Brother and the Holding Company, and when the band was looking for a female vocalist, he called an old friend from Austin named Janis Joplin. The Avalon Ballroom was soon known around the world as the crucible of the new San Francisco rock. Although the Avalon was a far more authentic alternative to Bill Graham's more commercial Fillmore Auditorium operation, Helms' business ultimately collapsed. He presented his last shows at this venue in December 1968. From June 1969 to August 1970, Helms transferred his operations at the Family Dog On The Great Highway. A group of rock impresarios took over the Avalon in 1969, but for the next 30 years, the place became a movie theatre called The Regency. The business name "Avalon Ballroom" long ago expired. Hotel owner Rudy Columbini took out a new license a while back, and briefly used the same name for a dance hall in one of his buildings in 2000. He then gave the license to landlord Scott Robertson. In October 2002, Steve Shirley rented the original Avalon for a trial run, and booked the current edition of Big Brother and the Holding Company. In January 2003, Shirley took over the master lease from Stanley Mouse, the psychedelic poster artist who with his partner Alton Kelley produced most of the famous posters for the Avalon during its first incarnation. Shirley has since presented an increasing schedule of shows.
Santana Dates: Oct or Nov 1966 - March 20, 1968 - May 13, 1968 - May 17/18/19, 1968 - May 28, 1968 - June 28/29/30, 1968 - Aug 9/10/11, 1968 - March 12, 1969 - March 21/22/23, 1969 - March 26, 1969

Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
99 Grove Street, San Francisco CA 94102
Note: Constructed for the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition, Civic Auditorium was also known as the Million Dollar Exposition Hall. The 7,000-seat venue, occupies an entire city block at Civic Center. It is among a few buildings included on the National Register of Historic Places as part of San Francisco's Civic Center Historic District, which is deemed as one of the finest examples of Beaux Arts architecture in the country. For many years, the venue hosted the Bay Area Music Awards (Bammies). In 1992, it was renamed after the legendary rock promoter, who died on Oct 25, 1991. Bronze medallions featuring busts of Bay Area artists line the sidewalk just outside. On March 12, 1997, Bill Graham, Carlos Santana and Jerry Garcia were the first to be inducted in this collection known as the Bay Area Walk of Fame.
Santana Dates: July 27, 1972 - Oct 22, 1983 - March 15, 1986 - March 18, 1988 - Feb 25, 1989 - March 17, 1990 - March 2, 1991 - March 7, 1992 - March 6, 1993 - March 5, 1994 - March 12, 1997 - March 15, 1997 - March 4, 1998 - March 3, 1999 - Feb 17, 2000 - April 8, 2000

Bill Graham Civic Auditorium Today

Carlos Santana Plaque

Bimbo's
1025 Columbus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94133
Note: Agostino Giuntoli came from Italy in 1922. He spent five years working his way to San Francisco to one day become a cook at an establishment where his boss, Monk Young, was unable to pronounce his name, nd dubbed him "Bimbo", the Italian word for boy. In 1931, he and Young, now his partner, opened the 365 Club at 365 Market Street. San Francisco was weary of the Depression, needed some fun, and the 365 Club was there to provide it. The club was crowded with celebrities from across America. On stage, lines of long-stemmed chorus girls kicked high to the music; one of whom was Rita Cansino. Later, we would all know her as Rita Hayworth. In 1951, Bimbo's moved to Columbus Avenue.
Santana Dates: Jan 9, 1972 - May 10, 2002 - Nov 17, 2005 - Jan 11, 2007 - Oct 22, 2009 - Jan 22, 2010

California Hall
625 Polk Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
Note: Modeled after a Heidelberg castle, this Teutonic Rathaus was built in 1912 by the German Association in the days when Polk Strasse was the main commercial street for San Francisco's German immigrants. In 1914, Das Deutsches Haus changed its name to the more patriotic California Hall. Over the years, several concerts took place at the hall, but shows didn't catch on there. In 1983, the building was sold for more than $3 million by the descendants of the original investors. Today, the hall is the home of the California Culinary Academy, which conducts classes, and operates a public restaurant where students prepare haute cuisine at reasonable prices.
Santana Dates: Late June 1966 - March 30/31, 1967

Cesar's Latin Palace
3140 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94110
Note: Cesar's Latin Palace was originally located in North Beach. Along with his own All Star Band, and trying to survive in the music industry, Cesar's had a way of always reemerging. Today, the venue has become the Roccapulco Supper Club.
Santana Dates: Oct 25, 1985 - June 17, 1988

Roccapulco Supper Club

Civic Center Plaza
Polk Street & McAllister Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
Note: San Francisco's Civic Center is an area of a few blocks that contains many of the city's largest government and cultural institutions. It has two large plazas and a number of buildings in classical architectural style. Its beauty is marred, however, by a reputation for being one of the more popular parts of the city for the homeless and the druf addicted due to its proximity to the Tenderloin. It is the place of many rallies, demonstrations, and festivals.
Santana Date: June 13, 1998

Coit Tower
1 Telegraph Hill Boulevard, San Francisco, CA 94133
Note: Coit Tower has provided visitors and locals with impressive views of the city since its completion in 1933. Lillie Hitchcock Coit, philanthropist and admirer of the fire fighters at the 1906 earthquake fire, left funds to the city for beautification of San Francisco. Those funds were used for the construction of the 210 ft. tall art deco Coit Tower at the top of the Telegraph Hill. Designed by Arthur Brown, Jr. (who also created the War Memorial Opera House, Temple Emanu-El, and the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge), the tower is reminiscent of a fire hose nozzle, and was quite controversial. Works Progress Administration murals, now protected as a historical treasure, can be viewed inside the first floor of the tower. These Diego Rivera inspired murals were completed in 1933. An easily recognized landmark, Coit Tower has great views of, and can be seen from many parts of the city.
Santana Date: July 28, 2001

Cow Palace
2600 Geneva Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94134
Note: Originally known as the California Livestock Pavilion, the Cow Palace is an indoor arena that straddles the border between San Francisco and Daly City, CA. It hosted the Golden Warriors of the NBA from 1962 to 1964 and the San Jose Sharks of the NHL from 1991 to 1993. It has also been the home of the annual Grand National Rodeo since 1941. The idea for the arena was originally conceived as the result of the popularity of the Livestock Pavilion at the 1915 Pan-Pacific Exposition, but the building was not completed until 1941. It is said that the current name came about as the result of a newspaper editorial that wondered aloud: "Why, when people are starving, should money be spent on a "palace for cows?", but an advertisement company actually coined the name the "Cow Palace" after a man named Willard S. Anderson said that "they are just building a palace for cows". The arena opened in April 1941. It was then used for processing soldiers bound for the Pacific theater. In the following years, it hosted innumerable hockey, basketball and boxing matches, concerts and political events. The arena is still used for the Grand National Rodeo today and other events. The Cow Palace has a San Francisco address, but it is physically mostly in Daly City, and it is the Daly City Police Department which patrols its grounds during events.
Santana Dates: Summer 1965 - Dec 26, 1968 - Dec 31, 1975 - Dec 31, 1976 - Dec 31, 1977 - Nov 26, 1989

Davies Symphony Hall
201 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94102
Note: Completed in September 1980 after more than two years of construction, Louise Davies Symphony Hall is the home of San Francisco Symphony. More than 6,000 individuals, foundations and corporations gave the funding needed to build the Hall. San Francisco city donated the land. The State and Federal governments gave a total of ten million dollars toward this $28 million project. The San Francisco Symphony home owes its name to the efforts and determination of Mrs. Louise Davies, the largest individual donor to the building. In the summer of 1992, Davies Symphony Hall underwent one of the biggest major renovation, enhancing its acoustics to ensure a better musical experience, and making a stunning interior more beautiful. Special care is also taken to provide improved facilities for the physically disabled.
Santana Date: Oct 13, 1989

Family Dog On The Great Highway
660 The Great Highway, San Francisco, CA 94121
Note: The building dated from 1889, and was originally known as "The Ocean Beach Pavilion", a sort of tavern-rental hall-retreat complex. Among other things, it served as a training site for turn-of-the-century boxers. In the 1920's, it became a local eatery called "Topsy's Roost" that specialized in chicken dinners. The interior of the Roost featured a barn-like atmosphere with lots of rough wood and overhanging balconies. It was then absorbed into Playland to become "Skateland". In the early 1950's, the venue housed "The Surf Club" (a dance hall), and in the 1960's it became a slot-car raceway. From June 1969 to August 1970, Chet Helms used the building as the "Family Dog". Unfortunately, his operations ran out of money in less than a year. The building's last use was "Friends and Relations Hall" in 1972. It was later demolished with the rest of Playland.
Santana Date: Feb 4, 1970

Topsy's Roost in the 1920's

Family Dog On The Great Highway Sept 25, 1969

Fillmore Auditorium
1805 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94115
Note: The original owner of the Fillmore property, Emma Gates Butler, hired James W. and Merritt Reid in 1910 to draw plans for an Italianate-style dance hall at the southwest corner of Fillmore and Geary. The "Majestic Hall" and "Majestic Academy of Dancing" opened in 1912 on the second and third stories of the building. The Fillmore was a dance hall operating under various names and managements: the "Get Acquainted Society" and "Ambassador Dance Hall" through the 1930's, and a roller rink through the 1940's. In 1952, local entrepreneur Charles Sullivan began to book some of the biggest names in black music into the Fillmore. During the 1950's and the 1960's, San Francisco gained a reputation as the preeminent Bohemian community in the country. This reputation was never more deserved than during the mid-sixties, when the hipster of the Beat movement grew into the hippie of a more mainstream counter-culture. By the 1950's, the literary North Beach scene had given way to the emerging Haight-Ashbury, and radical politics had a niche across the Bay at the University of California at Berkeley. In the search for fun and community, public dances became the craze in 1965. With Ken Kesey leading his band of Merry Pranksters to the outer limits of reality, and the Family Dog putting together dance concerts at Longshoremen's Hall, San Francisco was on its way to becoming the hip capital of the world.
Bill Graham was a veteran of the artistic community, but his greatest talents were his keen business acumen, and his ability to organize events, creating comfortable and safe atmospheres without stifling the creative energies around him. In 1965, Bill Graham managed R.G. Davis' San Francisco Mime Troupe. The troupe's Commedia Del'Arte production of "Il Candelaio" was deemed "too risqué" by the San Francisco Parks and Recreation Commission, but they performed it anyway, and were subsequently busted. Bill staged a benefit for the group's legal defense fund. The Family Dog offered its help and Bill, who had been concentrating on his mime troupe duties and was not aware of the dance craze, listed The Family Dog as performers on the "Appeal" party poster, thinking they were a dog act. On November 6, 1965, the fundraiser held at the Calliope Ballroom on Howard Street, proved serendipitous. In seeking to raise money for the troupe, and to increase awareness concerning censorship, Bill plugged into the vibrant youth scene. While many were drawn to the cause, many more were lured to the loft by the Jefferson Airplane, The Fugs, Sandy Bull, John Handy Quintet and others… Thousands flocked to Howard Street, and Bill successfully juggled the police, the door (and the back entrance), and the general mayhem to produce an event that united the nascent hippie community. Inspired by the success of the event, Bill held two more "appeals" at the Fillmore on December 10, 1965 and in January 1966. On February 4/5/6, 1966, the Jefferson Airplane headlined at the Fillmore in Bill's first non-benefit concerts, marking the true beginning of the company. By March 1966, the youth happenings were a media-certified phenomenon, but the police didn't like it. Bill's request for a dance hall permit in his own name was denied. On April 19, 1966, Bill was again refused a permit, and on the 22nd the police raided the Fillmore. Bill ended up in jail, but public outrage concerning the police crackdown was registered in the newspapers, and charges against him were formally dropped on May 24, 1966. On June 6, 1966 the Board of Permit Appeals reversed its decision, and certified Bill a "dance-hall keeper". At that time, the Fillmore represented the pinnacle of creative music making. From December 10, 1965, when Bill Graham produced a San Francisco Mime Troupe benefit, until July 4, 1968, the Fillmore audiences experienced a two and a half year musical and cultural Renaissance that produced some of the most innovative, exciting music ever to come out of San Francisco. The careers of the Grateful Dead, the Jefferson Airplane, Santana, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Big Brother and the Holding Company, Moby Grape, the Butterfield Blues Band, and countless others were launched from that stage. The most significant musical talent of the day has appeared there: Jimi Hendrix, Otis Redding, Cream, Howlin' Wolf, Captain Beefheart, Muddy Waters, The Who and many more… On July 4, 1968, Bill Graham said farewell to the original Fillmore with a show featuring Creedence Clearwater Revival, Steppenwolf and It's a Beautiful Day. The audience for the music had mushroomed, and the shows moved to the former Carousel Ballroom (ex-El Patio Ballroom) at Market and Van Ness in San Francisco, the venue being later renamed Fillmore West. Fillmore West closed on July 4, 1971.
In the 1970's, the original Fillmore became a private neighborhood club, and in the early 1980's, Paul Rat produced shows in the building (dubbed the "Elite Club"). Bill Graham Presents produced a few events in the 1980's, including the 20th anniversary party for the company. In 1986, owners Bert and Regina Kortz hired Michael Bailey to begin producing shows at the legendary venue. But Bill always had a special place in his heart for the first place he ever did shows. On March 3, 1988, he returned to the Fillmore Auditorium with a show featuring African reggae act Alpha Blondy & The Solar System and Little Women. The nightclub wing of Bill Graham Presents produced shows at the Fillmore Auditorium from March 1988 until the Loma Prieta earthquake damaged the building in October 1989. Bill's death in a helicopter accident on Oct 25, 1991 inspired everyone at Bill Graham Presents to finish one of Bill's final projects: to restore and once again make music in the building he loved more than any other. The Fillmore Auditorium reopened on April 27, 1994, and since then, the quality, variety and number of shows held at this venue, has been staggering.
Santana Dates: Nov 13, 1966 - Jan 22 or 29, 1967 - June 16, 1967 - June 16, 1968 - July 7, 1986 - May 11, 1988 - June 15, 1988 - May 17/18/19, 1995 - March 7, 1997 - Nov 23, 1997 - April 16/17/18, 1999 - April 11, 2000 - April 4, 2001 - Feb 6, 2002 - April 16, 2002 - June 30, 2002 - May 6, 2004 - June 10, 2004 - Jan 7, 2006 - May 20/21, 2008 - March 13, 2010

Bill Graham

Fillmore Auditorium Today

Bill Graham in his Fillmore Office 1967

Fillmore West/Carousel Ballroom
1545 Market Street & 10 South Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94103
Note: The Carousel Ballroom was originally known as "El Patio Ballroom", and was located on the upper floor of a rug store. During the first half of 1968, the Carousel was operated by Ron Rakow, a Grateful Dead associate. Bill Graham eventually negociated the lease out from under Rakow, and moved his Fillmore Auditorium operation to the Fillmore West, as he renamed it, on the weekend of July 5, 1968. For the three following years, Graham ran shows every weekend at the hall. The Who put on some amazing shows there, and Aretha Franklin recorded a live album with Ray Charles. Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield recorded the follow-up to their "Super Session" album, "The Live Adventures Of Mike Bloomfield And Al Kooper", featuring a young unknown making his recording debut, Carlos Santana. The final week of the Fillmore West was built over six days, featured every major local acts, and was broadcast on KSFX radio. On July 4, 1971, the final night featured Tower Of Power, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Santana. A final jam followed with an endless procession of players, among them Mike Bloomfield, Van Morrison, Vince Guaraldi, John Cipollina, Linda Tillery. The hall reopened in 1972 as the "Resurrection Ballroom". Today, the building is the service and repair shop of a Honda car dealer.
Santana Dates: July 30/31/Aug 1, 1968 - Aug 27/28/29, 1968 - Sept 10 or Sept 17 or Sept 24, 1968 - Sept 12/13/14, 1968 - Sept 25, 1968 - Sept 28, 1968 - Oct 31/Nov 1/2, 1968 - Dec 19/20/21/22, 1968 - Feb 13/14/15/16, 1969 - Feb 25, 1969 - May 15/16/17/18, 1969 - June 20, 1969 - July 11/12/13, 1969 - July 20, 1969 - Sept 4/5/6/7, 1969 - Oct 1, 1969 - Oct 2, 1969 - Dec 31, 1969 - Sept 10/11/12/13, 1970 - July 4, 1971 - July or Aug, 1972 - Aug 2, 1972

El Patio Ballroom in the 1950's

Fillmore West at the Carousel Ballroom

(interim period 1968)

Fillmore West at the Carousel Ballroom

(interim period 1968)

Ft. Mason
San Francisco, CA 94123
Note: Point San Jose became Ft. Mason in 1882. After the fort's artillery functions ended, it became quartermaster depot, then a supply and transportation center. In 1906 it was a refugee camp for victims of the San Francisco earthquake. Before the Spanish American War, half of Ft. Mason was sand dunes. As America's influence radiated across the Pacific, the Army filled in a shallow cove, and constructed three piers and four concrete warehouses. On December 7, 1941, the attack on Pearl Harbor brought America and Ft. Mason into World War II. Ft. Mason served as the headquarters for the San Francisco Port Embarkation (SFPOE), which funneled supplies and troops to the Pacific theater of war. Although its transportation depot functions were closed in 1964, its historic residences have been retained by the Army, and later the National Park Service, and have been marked. Today, it offers a unique blend of entertainment and education. It is the home to over 50 resident nonprofit groups and the setting for more than 15,000 events each year. Since 1973, the Annual San Francisco Blues Festival is taking place at the Great Meadow, Upper Ft. Mason.
Santana Dates: Sept 17, 1985 - Sept 14, 1986 - Feb 1, 1998 - Sept 19, 1999 - Sept 25, 2004

The Great Meadow, Upper Ft. Mason

Glide Memorial United Methodist Church
330 Ellis Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
Note: Since 1963, Glide has provided a broad range of human service programs to the Tenderloin district, an ethnically diverse neighborhood of Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders, Hispanics, blacks, whites and Native Americans. Glide describes this area as a densely populated district where most of the city's homeless shelters and low-income apartments can be found. High crime, extreme poverty, and intense drug activity characterize the Tenderloin district, which is also home to a rapidly increasing number of poor children and families. Glide believes that diversity is a strength, and seeks to develop programs that value all members of the church and those they serve. Rev. Cecil Williams, Glide's leader for over 35 years, operates under the philosophy of providing unconditional love and support for people of all races, ethnicities, cultures, classes, ages, religious faiths and sexual orientations. Glide operates 41 social service programs including substance abuse recovery, job counseling, computer skills training and health care services. Glide also manages a free meals program that provides three meals a day, 365 days of the year. The church serves an average of 3,000 meals per day. Glide Community Development, Inc., a non-profit organization, constructed the Cecil Williams GLIDE Community House in 1997, an affordable housing complex that serves people recovering from addictions, homeless people, people living with HIV, and those traumatized by sexual and physical abuse. The nine-story housing community with onsite support services is located adjacent to the church and will offer living accommodations. Glide's church membership has grown by 1,000 during 1997, totaling 8,200 parishioners, comprised of 40% black, 40% white and a significant Asian, Hispanic and Southeast Asian refugee church membership. In April 1997, Glide was featured in Life Magazine in an article, "A Church for the Twenty-First Century".
Santana Dates: Oct 8/9, 1966 - Dec 10, 1971

The Great American Music Hall
859 O'Farrell Street, San Francisco, CA 94109
Note: Opened in 1907, as a fancy French restaurant and bordello called "Blanco's", this venue is San Francisco's oldest nightclub. Towering columns of marble, elaborate balconies, and intricate ceiling frescos continue a grand architectural tradition. From early 1900's raucous Barbary Coast entertainment, to swanky nightclubbing in the 1930's and 1940's, to 1950's Moose Lodge meeting house, the Great American Music Hall is an embodiment of San Francisco history. Since 1972, the room has been one of the cornerstones of the city nightclub scene. Tom Broadshaw opened the club for many jazz greats including Duke Ellington and Count Basie. He and his wife Jeannie later booked jazz, folk and rock artists, and comedy acts such as Robin Williams who filmed his famous Home Box Office special at the club. In 1991, Broadshaw sold the place to a group of investors headed by Kurt Brouwer.
Santana Dates: ?, 1987 - ?, 1990 - Feb 27, 1992 - Oct 17, 1995

Kabuki Theatre
1881 Post Street, San Francisco, CA 94115
Note: The cineplex was built in 1960 in the west end of Japantown. In 1981, Bill Graham started throwing sixty shows per year at the hall. In the early 1980's, during the MTV era of rock, many British successful bands played on the Kabuki stage. In 1984, the Hawaii-based owners sold the building for $3.5 million. Today, the complex has integrated itself in the community by screening film festivals like the San Francisco International Film Festival, and the San Francisco Asian International Film Festival.
Santana Dates: March 14, 1974 - May 29, 1982 - March 3, 1983 - May 19, 1984

Kezar Stadium
755 Stanyan Street, San Francisco, CA 94117
Note: The stadium was built between 1922 and 1925, and could hold some 60,000 fans. It was dedicated on May 2, 1925 to the honor of Mrs. Nancy Kezar. Since then, many track and field events have been held, as well as motorcycle races, and rugby, soccer and baseball games. In 1946, the San Francisco 49ers moved in, and would play there for the next 24 years. In 1967, an over flow crowd of 67,000 people attended an anti Viet-Nam war rally. In the 1970's many concerts were held there with such bands as Led Zeppelin, Doobie Brothers, Jefferson Starship, Graham Central Station, Tower of Power, The Miracles, Joan Baez, Jerry Garcia, Santana, Neil Young and more… Following the 1989 earthquake, the old stands were demolished to make way for a new 10,000 seats arena. In 2002, the Golden State Amateur Football League moved into Kezar Stadium, and on August 25, 2003, the San Francisco 49ers returned to this legendary stadium for a mock team game.
Santana Date: March 23, 1975

Original Kezar Stadium

Kezar Stadium Today

Masonic Auditorium
1111 California Street, San Francisco, CA 94108
Note: Also known as Nob Hill Masonic Center, the building is in stark contrast to the neo-Gothic splendor of Grace Cathedral, just across the street. To stand in the high, glass-enclosed interior, however, evokes an oddly similar feeling, though a considerably more secular one. Completed in 1958, it houses a public auditorium (with more than 3,100 seats) used for lectures and concerts, a Masonic Museum, and a Masonic Memorial Temple. The facade is of brilliant white Vermont marble, and features a bas-relief in vibrantly contrasting colors (the four large figures represent the armed forces, the frieze depicts the struggle between good and evil). Inside the glass-enclosed lobby, the monumental masonic symbol is a modern variation on stained glass design. The Masonic Auditorium is one of the venues that host the Annual San Francisco Jazz Festival.
Santana Dates: Oct 20, 1995 - July 27, 2008

The Matrix
3138 Fillmore Street, San Francisco, CA 94123
Note: The Matrix was opened by Marty Balin on August 13, 1965 as a place for his new band to play. On opening night the band finally chose their name, Jefferson Airplane, and from that moment on, the Matrix was the place for the famous bands of the 1960's in San Francisco, bridging folk and psychadelic rock. Everyone played there: The Grateful Dead, Big Brother and the Holding Company (with singer Janis Joplin), Quicksilver Messenger Service, Sopwith Camel, Country Joe and the Fish, Steve Miller Band (and later Boz Scaggs solo), Steppenwolf (then called Sparrow), The Doors (who produced a four album set from their five appearances in March 1967), The Chambers Brothers, Electric Flag, Santana, It's A Beautiful Day, New Riders of the Purple Sage and Bruce Springsteen (in his San Francisco debut with Steel Mill). Shows were promoted by weekly handbills that sparked an era of rock art made famous by artists such as Victor Moscoso. The Matrix closed in 1972, but was brought back to life as a lounge bar in 2001, and renamed "MatrixFillmore".
Santana Dates: Oct 3, 1966 - Nov 17/18/19, 1967 - Jan 18/19/20, 1968 - Nov 13, 1968 - Aug 4, 1970 - Oct 21, 1970 - Feb 22, 1971

The Original Matrix

The Matrix Today

Old Waldorf
444 Battery Street, San Francisco CA 94111
Note: Jeffrey Pollack opened the 600-seat nightclub in 1976. With his background in the bar and restaurant business, he changed the price structure of nighclub booking across the country. Pollack booked all the acts he could find to play at this glass-and-brick venue, among them Elvis Costello, Dire Straits, U2, Metallica, Journey… In 1980, Bill Graham bought the club for an alleged price of three-quarters of a million dollars. In 1983, Graham closed down the venue and moved to North Beach to open Wolfgang's in a place he bought from Pollack again. Today, the building is the home of the first full-time comedy club, the Punch Line.
Santana Dates: April 1/2, 1977 - June 4, 1977 - June 23, 1978 - April 22, 1979 - May 23, 1980 - Feb 1/2/3/4/5, 1981- July 20, 1982
War Memorial Opera House
301 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94102
Note: The War Memorial Opera House has been the home of the San Francisco Opera since October 15, 1932. The building was designed by Arthur Brown, Jr. (who also created Coit Tower, Temple Emanu-El, and the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge).
Santana Date: Feb 22, 1982

Pacific Bell Park/SBC Park/AT&T Park
24 Willie Mays Plaza, San Francisco, CA 94107
Note: Opened on April 11, 2000, it is the first privately financed ballpark in Major League Baseball since Dodger Stadium in 1962. Giants' President Magowan, led a group of San Francisco business leaders, and saved the Giants from moving to Florida, knowing that the Giants franchise was not secure in San Francisco until a new ballpark was built to replace much-maligned Candlestick Park. The park is inspired by Wrigley Field and Fenway Park, and modeled after Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Jacobs Field and Coors Field. It is a classic urban ballpark with an old-time feel, and all the amenities of modern ballparks. The public entrance features an inspiring nine-foot statue of America's greatest living ballplayer, Willie Mays. The view from the worst seats in the house still gives you a view of the Bay Bridge and the Marina.
Santana Dates: May 18, 2001 - Aug 25, 2009 - Oct 25, 2014 - Sept 4, 2016

Pier 45
Beach Street at the Embarcadero, Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA 94133
Note: Pier 45 is still used by fishermen in the early morning hours, and fish and seafood can be bought from the Fish Alley Market. There are shops galore, fast food stands and overpriced bay-view restaurants, as well as bars, markets, street performers, and an endless variety of activities. Numerous museums include the Historic Ships Pier, and the USS Pampanito submarine. The SS Jeremiah O'Brien, the sole survivor of the 6,000-ship armada that stormed Normandy on D-Day 1944, is permanently moored at Pier 45, at the foot of Taylor Street.
Santana Date: Jan 8, 1996
The Polo Fields
Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA 94122
Note: In 1865, the people of San Francisco petitioned the Board of Supervisors to set aside land for a large park or "pleasure ground". That same year, Mayor Coon commissioned Fredrick Olmsted, the designer of Central Park in New York, to design a park for San Francisco. Though his design was not implemented, Golden Gate Park was set aside in 1869 when the Board annexed the Outside Lands, from Divisadero West. In 1870, William Hammond Hall, a 24-year old surveyor, was awarded the contract to survey Golden Gate Park, and was subsequently hired as Superintendent. In 6 years, he created most of the current roadway system, and planted 60,000 trees and shrubs. By April 1886, with three streetcar lines serving the park, more then 47,000 people visited the park in one day by streetcars alone. The population of the city was about 250,000 at the time. Private interest continued for a racetrack for blooded horses in the park, and the Commission was finally forced to begin construction of Speed Road. The racetrack was mostly paid for by horsemen wanting a place to parade and race their fine horses. The Park was also forced to build a bicycle path parallel to what is now JFK Drive, separating bicyclists and horsemen. Speed Road ran through what is now Speedway Meadow, until 1906, when John McLaren built Park Stadium, now called the Polo Fields. Today, important festivities generally occur at Sharon Field, but some larger events require the use of the Polo Fields, the largest open field of Golden Gate Park.
Santana Dates: Sept 29, 1991 - Nov 3, 1991 - Sept 12, 2004

Slim's
333 11th Street, San Francisco, CA 94103
Note: Boz Scaggs leased an old restaurant named The Warehouse in 1987, and transformed it into a nightclub with the help of Huey Lewis And The News manager Bob Brown. Opened in 1988, the venue was supposed to be primarily a rhythm and blues club, but it soon welcomed local alternative rock acts and wolrd beat, folk, jazz, country and anything. The 600-seat room hosted artists such as David Bowie, Pearl Jam, The Black Crowes, Rickie Lee Jones, Huey Lewis And The News. Joe Louis Walker and Irma Thomas have recorded live albums at this popular nightspot, voted several times Best Nightclub in America by Pollstar Magazine, and Best Bar & Club by the readers of the San Francisco Chronicle.
Santana Dates: March 14, 1990 - April 8, 1999
Stern Grove
19th Avenue at Sloat Boulevard, San Francisco, CA 94132
Note: Stern Grove was purchased by Rosalie M. Stern, and given as a gift to the City of San Francisco in 1931, in memory of her husband Sigmund, a prominent civic leader. George Greene originally homesteaded the Grove - a tract of sand dunes and marshes - in the 1840's. The Greene family planted the first eucalyptus trees in the Grove, and built the Trocadero Inn, a popular recreation spot until its closure in 1916. Marveling at the Grove's natural acoustics, Mrs. Stern determined that the site would be preserved as a park in which the public could enjoy admission-free music, dance, and theater performances. On June 4, 1932, Stern Grove was dedicated. Two weeks later, the San Francisco Symphony played the first concert in the Grove. Mrs. Stern, then President of the San Francisco Recreation Commission, formed the non-profit Stern Grove Festival Association in 1938, stipulating that all concerts were to be free to the public, and designed for everyone's enjoyment. Mrs. Stern chaired the Festival until her death in 1956. Her daughter, Elise Stern Haas, served as chairman until 1969; she was succeeded by her daughter, Rhoda Haas Goldman. Following Rhoda Goldman's untimely death in 1996, her son, Dr. Douglas E. Goldman, became Festival Chairman. Today, Stern Grove, a natural amphitheater surrounded by giant eucalyptus, redwood, and fir trees, is one of Northern California's favorite concert sites. In keeping with Mrs. Stern's vision, the wide selection of performers reflects the Festival's commitment to exceptional programming and to serving diverse audiences. A beloved Bay Area tradition, every summer Sunday for nearly seven decades, family and friends gather to relax, picnic, and enjoy performances by some of the world's greatest artists in this glorious natural setting. While Stern Grove itself is still owned and operated by the City of San Francisco, and Mrs. Stern's descendents remain actively involved, today the Festival is truly a community institution.
Santana Date: July 10, 2005
The Stone
412 Broadway Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94133
Note: In 1967, Tony Bennett opened this venue called "Mister D's", an elegant supper club named after Sammy Davis Jr. In 1973, Dick Griffey and Don Cornelius took over the room, renaming it "Soul Train", and in the late 1970's, the venue was known as "The Hippodrome". In 1980, Freddie Herrera and Bobby Corona took over the lease to establish The Stone. This partnership included two more clubs, Keystone Berkeley and Keystone Palo Alto, and was able to offer big-name rock acts interesting three-night mini tours. In the following years, the 700-seat venue became an alternative to Bill Graham-run clubs. The Stone presented artists such as Prince, John Lee Hooker, James Brown, Muddy Waters, Robert Cray, and more. But higher talent costs, competition in the limited Bay Area market, and some disagreements with his partners, began to take their toll on Herrera. Slowly, he began to sell his beloved clubs. The first to go was his favorite, in Berkeley, and then the Keystone Palo Alto. Finally, in January 1990, he sold the Stone to technical wiz John Nady, who is the inventor of the Nady Wireless, a device that allows electric guitars and microphones to operate without cords. At that time, Nady was aready operating the "Omni" nightclub in Oakland, and was looking forward to putting on shows on both sides of the bay. He never enjoyed similar success, and vacated the lease a few years later.
Santana Dates: Dec 1, 1980 - March 30, 1985 - Aug 8, 1985

Straight Theatre
1702 Haight Street, San Francisco, CA 94117
Note: The Haight Theatre was built in 1919, and was operated by Golden Gate State Theatres up until its closing (as a film theatre) on September 22, 1964. It reopened on July 21, 1967 as the Straight Theatre, a hippie-run alternative to the commercially successful Fillmore Auditorium and Avalon Ballroom. Long before its reopening, the Grateful Dead used the place as a rehearsal hall. The venue seated 1,310 people, and its main floor was leveled with a parquet surface for dancing. As an essential part of the Haight/Ashbury counter culture, the Straight Theatre hosted many famous rock bands of that era, including Quicksilver Messenger Service, Big Brother and the Holding Company, The Charlatans, and Country Joe and the Fish. For a period, the venue lost its dance permit, so they offered dance lessons with the Grateful Dead as one of the instructors. A year and a half later, the venue closed. In 1979, the building was demolished, and was replaced by a Goodwill store.
Santana Dates: Dec 1/2/3, 1967 - Dec 26, 1967 - Jan 30/31/Feb 1, 1968 - March 1/2, 1968 - April 12/13, 1968 - May 7/8/9/10/11, 1968 - Nov ?, 1968

The Haight Theatre

Warfield Theatre
982 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
Note: Named after native San Franciscan and veteran actor, David Warfield, this venue opened in 1922. The Victorian influence can be seen in the architecture and accoutrement, ornate ceiling designs, chandeliers, and wrought-iron balustrades. Gold-leafed opera boxes overlook the palatial stage, and the period mural that brightens up the top of the stage. Early entertainment at the theatre included silent films and vaudeville shows featuring Charlie Chaplin, Al Jolson and Rin Tin Tin. After the death of vaudeville, stage shows didn't return until the 1940's with attractions such as Louis Armstrong and Bill "Bojangles" Robinson. In 1979, Bill Graham produced several Bob Dylan gospel shows, and some years after, acts such as Liza Minnelli and Shirley MacLaine. When the Kabuki Theatre closed down in 1984, Graham convinced a brother-sister pair to invest into the renovation of the venue, maintaining the master lease for himself.
Santana Dates: Nov 17, 1979 - March 25, 1980 - Nov 13, 1980 - June 29, 1982 - Aug 9, 1985 - April 18, 1990 - April 30/May 1, 1991 - Dec 20, 1991 - March 11, 1995 - March 9, 1996 - Dec 30/31, 1996 - Nov 14, 2000 - May 31, 2003 - Feb 26, 2004 - June 22/23/24, 2004

Winterland
2101 Sutter Street, San Francisco, CA 94115
Note: Originally, the Winterland Ballroom was an old ice skating ring. The building had a capacity of 5,400 people. After the closing of Fillmore West on July 4, 1971, rock promoter Bill Graham took over the old hall that soon became legendary for the shows that happened there. The Grateful Dead made their home at this venue. In 1976, Martin Scorcese shoots "The Last Waltz". Released in 1978, the film chronicled a concert featuring The Band, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, and Muddy Waters. The occasion of the show was the announced retirement from the road of The Band. The Sex Pistols played their last show at Winterland on January 14, 1978. The venue closed on December 31, 1978 with a concert by the Grateful Dead, New Riders of the Purple Sage, and the Blues Brothers. It was torn down a few years later, and replaced by apartment condominiums and a restaurant.
Santana Dates: Dec 31, 1968 - May 28, 1969 - Oct 3/4 1969 - Dec 18/19/20/21, 1969 - Feb 23, 1970 - March 26/27/28, 1971 - March 26, 1972 - Oct 4/5/6, 1972 - April 6, 1973 - Dec 31, 1973 - May 26, 1974 - Sept 13/14, 1974 - Nov 14/15, 1975 - May 21, 1977 - Oct 29, 1977 - ?, 1978

Original Winterland

Winterland Site Today

Bill Graham in front of the original Winterland

Closing Night Dec 31, 1978

Original Winterland

Closing Night Dec 31, 1978

Wolfgang's
901 Columbus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94133
Note: The 8,000 square ft. building was built in 1923 as a nightclub, and has always remained so. "The Lido Lounge", complete with floorshow, catered to San Francisco's politicos and society's elite of the late 1920's and 1930's. The "Italian Village", later renamed "The Village", wowed the troops during World War II with big bands and USO shows, continuing through to the late 1950's. In the 1970's, during the disco era, the place went by "Dance Your Ass Off". In 1982, David Allen renamed it "The Boarding House", and booked some comedy shows, but later closed the club for insolvency. Former Old Waldorf owner Jeffrey Pollack took over Allen, and operated the room as "Bal Tabarin", and eventually managed to interest Bill Graham to buy a second club from him. After closing the Old Waldorf, Graham reopened the place on July 4, 1983 as "Wolfgang's", his real first name. The room soon became of the city's top club, hosting acts such as John Hiatt, Midnight Oil, Ry Cooder, Randy Newman… On Saturday nights, deejays spun records for hundreds of dancers. On July 31, 1987, a fire broke out in the hotel above, and burned most of the club's ceiling, forcing Wolfgang's to close forever. The place reopened as the "7th Note" jazz and dance club in the 1990's. In November 2003, the building became "Cobb's Comedy Club", which was formerly located in Fisherman's Wharf.
Santana Date: Nov 28, 1984

Miscellaneous

Collage © Karim Brichi

32. Columbia Studios/The Automatt
33. Wally Heider Recording Studios
34. "Inspire To Aspire" Mural
35. Hotel Triton
36. Mission Cultural Center
37. James Lick Middle School
38. Mission High School
39. Tic Toc Drive In
40. Dipti Nivas Restaurant
41. Meditation Center
42. Temple Emanu-El
Columbia Studios/The Automatt
827/829 Folsom Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
Note: At the dawn of the 1970's, the Bay Area music scene was strong and diverse. The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Santana, It's a Beautiful Day and other groups were successfully touring and selling a lot of records. No longer bound by the requirements of their record labels to record at in-house studios in New York and Los Angeles, they mostly worked in Bay Area studios. With Wally Heider's San Francisco operation going strong, and Bill Putnam's Coast Recorders recent move to Folsom Street, people outside of the Bay Area suddenly decided that there was money to be made from the Northern California music scene. In September 1970, Columbia bought Coast Recorders' new facility on Folsom Street, bringing in a trio of top engineers from New York: Roy Halee, Roy Segal and Glenn Kolotkin. Coast Recorders moved out to 1340 Mission Street, taking over Mecury Recordings. Coast Recorders on Mission went through several owners, and was renamed "Toast" during the 1990's. In 2002, Paul Stubblebine took over the facility, and reclaimed the Coast Recorders name. At Columbia's on Folsom Street, Paul Simon, Santana and Blood, Sweat & Tears were among the acts who worked there in the first year, and there seemed to be a steady stream of acts moving in and out of the studio. However, Columbia was a very conservative company, with very strict rules about how long sessions could go and, of course, about drugs. The San Francisco music scene was really very loose, and ultimately, CBS decided to divest itself of its San Francisco property. David Rubinson, who had been renting a studio space dubbed "The Automatt" on the second floor of the building with great success since the fall of 1976, managed to convince CBS to turn the lease over to him. In late 1978, he took over the former Columbia Studios to make The Automatt, a three-studio operation. The Automatt was certainly the toniest and best equipped studio in the city, with Harrison and Trident TSM consoles, MCI 24-track recorders and a crack engineering staff that started with Catero and went on to include Ken Kessie, Leslie Ann Jones, and others during its eight-year history. Many great acts came through there, including Santana, the Pointer Sisters, Herbie Hancock, Journey and many others... After suffering a heart attack, Rubinson closed the place in 1982. After the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, the building's owner decided to level the place for a parking lot.
Wally Heider Recording Studios
245 Hyde Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
Note: Wally Heider opened his San Francisco studio in 1969, in a building that was previously home to an assortment of film offices, screening rooms and storage for 20th Century Fox. Heider's was a quick success, counting among its first clients the Jefferson Airplane, Creedence Clearwater Revival and the Grateful Dead. Heider's equipment was revolutionary. He became the proud first owner of 16-track Ampex machines, and was the first to install a Quad 8 Board. As well as luring bands with up-to-date technology, Heider instructed his staff to do anything to make their clients happy. It was this dedication and accomodation that attracted some of the biggest bands during the studio's golden age. But within five months everything changed drastically. Manager Mel Tanner, left the studio, and within a month the bottom fell out completely. The oil crisis, the recession of 1973, the record companies' executive staffs crashing, all led to real changes in recording budgets. Because Heider was a trailblazer, and had opened with cutting-edge equipment when he began Filmways/Heiders, it was necessary to update the equipment in 1974. But the advent of 24-track recording made it imperative that the studio update its gear or fall behind competing studios. Heider's went to Filmways, and asked for the money to upgrade, but Filmways refused. Thus, began the demise of Filmways/Heider's studios. Heider became so distraught about the decline of the studio that he maneuvered his way into being fired, and went into private life in his home state of Oregon. After Wally Heider's departure, Filmways sent up Gary Blum, whose Los Angeles style seemed at odds with the more laid-back San Francisco scene, and the staff at Filways/Heider's rallied together to oust him. Yet, Filmways continued to resist funding the declining studio. In 1978, David Rubinson, a mainstay at Heider's, left and reluctantly started his own studio, "The Automatt" on Folsom Street. In 1980, a partnership composed of Dan Alexander, Tom Sharples and Michael Ward reopened the studios, as Hyde Street Studios. Ward and his partners were willing to spend money, and began remodeling the studios. As one of the nation's largest dealers of second-hand audio, Alexander played a major part in the selection of new equipment. His large collection of vintage tube microphones, tube compressors and other exotic gear gave the studio an edge over local competition. Under the new ownership, the studio's patrons have included artists Joe Satriani, Blue Oyster Cult, the Dead Kennedys, Ronnie Montrose, Chris Isaak and Robert Cray. Tom Sharples left the partnership in 1985, and Ward and Alexander later divided the studios, with Alexander taking Studio C and Ward keeping the rest of the building and the Hyde Street name. In 1986, Alexander leased Studio C to Sandy Pearlman, who ran it as Alpha & Omega Studio until 1991. Ward kept control of his studios, except for a brief sublease of Studio A to a producer who ran it as Power Stroke Studios, catering to early heavy metal and thrash acts. Alexander later ended his involvement with Hyde Street, but Ward continued to run the studio. An extensive three-year program of rebuilding and consolidation led to a complete redo in Studio A. That put Hyde Street Studios in a position to match the glory from its past, following the dictums laid out by Wally Heider 25 years earlier.
"Inspire To Aspire" Mural
South Van Ness Avenue & 22nd Street, San Francisco, CA 94110
South Van Ness Avenue & 22nd Street, San Francisco, CA 94110 Note: In June 1987, celebrating the 20th anniversary of Santana, Michael Rios created the mural that spans three buildings. The mural represents musical heroes, icons and symbols common to those who lived in the Mission District. The two other artists depicted in the painting are conguero Armando Peraza on the left, and pianist Eddie Palmieri on the right. That inspiration became a beautiful friendship and a long artistic collaboration between Santana and Rios. During the making of the mural, Carlos Santana's father Jose Santana, used to come and play with his mariachi band on the parking lot, just in front of the building. Several other events celebrated Santana during that month.
Santana Date: June 1987

Hotel Triton
342 Grant Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94108
Note: The Hotel Triton is a trendy, funky, and eclectic hotel with Californian warmth and a chic, upscale flair located opposite the majestic Dragon Gates of Chinatown, and only three blocks from Union Square. It offers unique rooms and features such as zen dens with incense burning, and suites designed by their rock star namesakes like Jerry Garcia, Carlos Santana, and Graham Nash and an Eco Floor for earth-lovers, with filtered air and biodegradable toiletries. The Carlos Santana Suite features historic photos on the wall, and memorabilia provided by the Santana Management, as well as some drawings made by fans. Artist Michael Rios painted the bed cover, bathroom curtains, and angels on the ceiling. The entrance hall is also decorated with some legendary Fillmore posters. On the inauguration day, Carlos Santana put his autograph on the wall. The Carlos Santana Suite has been later renamed "The Black Magic Bedroom".
Santana Date: June 13, 1996

Bed Cover Art © Michael Rios

Mission Cultural Center
2868 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94110
Note: The Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts (MCCLA) was established in 1977 by artists and community activists with a shared vision to promote, preserve and develop the Latino cultural arts that reflect the living tradition and experiences of Chicano, Central and South American, and Caribbean people. The MCCLA makes the arts accessible as an essential element to community development and well-being. Programs include theater, music, film and video, poetry readings, cultural forums and media panels. The center houses a 142-seat theater, performing and visual art studios, a state-of-the-art print screen facility and the Galeria Museo, which presents local and international exhibitions throughout the year that target audiences not traditionally reached by mainstream museums and galleries. As a community non-profit arts organization, MCCLA prides itself in enriching, in a most unique way, the cultural and artistic life of the Mission, San Francisco, and Bay Area residents as well. The Board of Directors, Management and Staff, share a commitment to providing quality and relevant art programs and services, and to working with community individuals and groups in the pursuit of this vision.
Santana Date: June 9, 1987

James Lick Middle School
1220 Noe Street, San Francisco, CA 94114
Note: James Lick Middle School sits in a large, white, imposing four-story building in Noe Valley. Its entry hall feels like one of California's old missions, airy and tall, with colorful tile stairs lined with trees in planters. The giveaway that it's a school are the messages which cover the walls, belying the school culture: "Teachers are very special" "We are creating a better world: peace, sisterhood, brotherhood, nonviolence". A banner hanging from the ceiling has the word "Welcome" in several languages. Paper cutouts of diverse people holding hands drape the doorways to the north and south wings. A corner area by the front door displays lively signs and a calendar of school events for parents. And artfully mounted at eye level are statements of the school's objectives. Clearly printed is the following problem statement: "Our African American, Latino, and English Language Learner students do not experience the same levels of student achievement as other student populations". From the direct articulation of this problem stem James Lick Middle School's reform efforts.
Santana Dates: Summer 1962 - May 12, 2007

Mission High School
3750 18th Street, San Francisco, CA 94114
Note: Mission High School is the first comprehensive high school in San Francisco, and the first such school west of the Rocky Mountains. The first building was formally dedicated in 1897. Mission High has its own museum on campus that highlights the evolution of the school over the past 100+ years. Located in the heart of the Mission District, the school is proud of its ethnic diversity, and tries to instill positive social values, acceptance and tolerance in the students. Mission High welcomes parents and community members to be involved in the educational process, and has an active English-Language Advisory Committee and School Site Council. The academic focus school is aimed at improving literacy with all the students. Mission High has a very focused three-year literacy plan that includes a myriad of professional development opportunities for teachers on-site, local, and statewide.
Santana Dates: Sept 1964 - June 1967 - Oct 24, 2011

Tic Toc Drive In
3rd Street, San Francisco, CA
Note: n/a
Santana Date: 1963

Dipti Nivas Restaurant
216 Church Street, San Francisco, CA 94114
Note: In September 1973, guru Sri Chinmoy prompted Carlos Santana's wife Deborah Santana to launch a vegetarian restaurant, which she and her sister Kitsaun ran for almost ten years. Carlos Santana (Rolling Stone): "We don't give money to Sri Chinmoy. Only sometimes when I go to the Center, like in New York, just like in churches, there are self-offerings. I have a restaurant-boutique-health food store opening in San Francisco, called Dipti-Nivas (the Abode Of Light) with my wife Debbie. That's how I contribute. The restaurant in reality belongs to humanity. It's Guru's will". Today, Deborah Santana says that the opening of Dipti Nivas was the most gratifying result of following the guru. Through managing the restaurant, she regained confidence in her intelligence and business skills. She occasionally gave lectures on meditation at the restaurant.
Santana Dates: Sept 1973 - Aug 1981

Booklet

Handbill

Meditation Center
Sanchez Street, San Francisco, CA
Note: n/a
Santana Dates: ?, 1979 - ?, 1980
Temple Emanu-El
2 Lake Street, San Francisco, CA 94118
Note: Established in 1850, Emanu-El is the oldest congregation west of the Mississippi. Dedicated in April 1926, the building is the third site of this congregation. Designed by Arthur Brown, Jr. (who also created Coit Tower, the War Memorial Opera House, and the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge), the building was influenced by the Haggia Sophia in Istanbul. In 1927, the American Institute of Architects selected Temple Emanu-El as the finest piece of architecture in Northern California. The congregation's commitment to helping the secular community began as far back as 1849-1850. The Eureka Benevolent Society is the largest Jewish organization in the West, and was formed by many who became active at the Temple. The first two presidents of Emanu-El were local officeholders, and Jews were part of California State government, serving in the State Assembly, on the State Supreme Court, and in other key positions. Commitment to the local community is evidenced through the congregation's renewed mission statement, and is exemplified by the members, the community service projects and the community partnership projects funded through the Emanu-El Community Service Fund. Congregation Emanu-El has been influential in other ways as well. Cantor Reuben Rinder, who served the congregation from 1913 to 1966, discovered and nurtured the talents of Yehudi Menuhin and Isaac Stern and much later, Itzhak Perlman. He also helped initiate the Israeli Philharmonic orchestra. International leaders including Golda Meir, Abba Eban, Abraham Joshua Heschel and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. have spoken in the Sanctuary. Most recently Maya Angelou, Elie Weisel, and Dr. Cornell West have addressed large audiences at the Temple.
Santana Dates: Oct 28, 1991 - March 1, 1992

Temple Emanu-El in the 1940's

© 1999-Now Santanamigos